2.02.2007

A Confluence of Challenges

From today's lectionary readings: 2 Timothy 3:1-17

"But mark this. There will be terrible times in the last days. People will... have a form of godliness, but deny its power. (ellipsis covers the list of other horrible conditions people will have-- the break isn't there to change the context.)

From the book I'm reading, prepping for CSMSG's vestry retreat: "Unbinding the Gospel" by Martha Grace Reese

"I was leading a retreat for eight smart, loving pastors of growing mainline churches. Off the cuff, I asked, 'Hey, what difference does it make in your own life that you are a Christian?'

Silence. Loud silence stretched on. And on. I stared around the circle in disbelief. Finally one volunteered hesitantly, 'Because it makes me a better person?'
...

Since that retreat, I've asked hundreds of pastors what difference being a Christian makes in their own lives. Most reacted with surprise. Most had a hard time answering."

In what areas of all our lives must we ask God's forgiveness for denying the power of a relationship with Him?

No comments: