1.01.2006

Blues vs. Ducks vs. the Bible

The St. Louis Blues hockey team played the Anaheim Mighty Ducks last night on TV, and since there is no such thing as a new episode of anything on New Year's Eve, I watched the game.

I do actually enjoy hockey. Several of our students play and I go to their games when I have the chance and the schedule. One of the early events I went along on was a Blues vs. Red Wings game, with around 30 of our members. Just like Upper Michigan, hockey is a part of life here in St. Louis.

One of the advantages of watching hockey on television is that the camera always follows the puck. At a game, it can be hard to tell where the action is because my eye is trying to follow everything at once, and I often miss plays because my attention hasn't caught up with the puck yet.

The camera knows what's important. At least, the camera operator does. With that in mind, I offer this simple activity.

Take students to a hockey game. Invite them to your house to watch one on TV. After the game, point out how the camera follows the puck and how that makes it easier for you, the fan, to see what's important at the game.

Now ask students to imagine that a camera was following their lives. What would it follow? What would it see them do? According to the camera, what would the most important thing in their lives be? Let this lead into a discussion about focus. Especially in the New Year weeks, when people are making resolutions, you can use hockey as a tool to show how important it is to follow Christ above all in our decisions, habits and actions this year.

3 comments:

Aaron Geist said...

Nice thoughts!

Aaron Geist said...

Nice thoughts!

Aaron Geist said...

Nice thoughts!